“I am a writer and editor with specialist expertise in business, finance and personal histories including obituaries. My watchwords are accuracy, clarity, and fairness.”
as featured in The Times, The Independent, The London Evening Standard and on Reuters Breakingviews, the BBC, etc
for bespoke editorial services please email
or call 07974357237
- Reuters, 2010-date
- Assistant Editor, Breakingviews, the agenda-setting financial comment and analysis arm of the global news network.
- Writing, commissioning, editing and managing coverage of financial, corporate, banking, economic, markets, political and off-beat subjects. Among notable successes: close coverage of the world’s largest ever takeover bid, that of AB-InBev buying SAB Miller; the correct prediction in 2014 that Tesco would cut its dividend.
- Extensive broadcast experience including appearances for the BBC, CNBC and Reuters TV.
- Taking responsibility for generating ideas and for ensuring that the good ideas become editorial reality.
- Formal line management including service as Grievance Manager
- Reuters’ Journalist of the Year in 2015 for work correctly predicting that Germany would win the 2014 Soccer World Cup. The main article was the best-read piece on Breakingviews in 2014.
- The Times, 1998-2010
- Assistant Home News Editor (2009-2010)
- Chief Obituaries Writer (2008-2009)
- Leader Writer (2007-2008)
- Acting Business Editor and Chief Business Columnist (2006)
- Deputy Business Editor (2002-2006) including spells as acting Chief Business Columnist
- Editor of the daily Tempus investment column (1998-2006)
- City Correspondent (1998)
- Among many other things, I edited the Budget Day special supplements. I also devised wrote and produced the annual Power 100 survey of most influential directors of London listed companies.
- London Evening Standard, 1994-1998
- City Correspondent with noted, sometimes exclusive, coverage of the demutualisations of the building societies
- Personal Finance Editor on Daily Personal Finance columnist
- The Independent, 1989-1994 City Reporter and Personal Finance Writer.
I am an experienced teacher and lecturer. I led the Financial Journalism specialism at The City University in London in ten academic years between 1995 and 2007 and taught the Corporate News reporting module on TCU’s Journalism MA course between 2011 and 2015. I was appointed to an Honorary Visiting Fellowship at The City University, a post which has helped book researches, in 2008.
- The Unwritten Laws of Finance and Investment (Profile Books, 2010)
- The Global-Investor Book of Investing Rules, contributor (Harriman House, 2001)
- www.equityeducation.com (1998-2000)
- Getting Started in Unit and Investment Trusts (John Wiley, 1997).
- London Poems (WetZebra, 2016)
- 1988-1989 City University, London – Diploma in Newspaper Journalism (with finance specialism)
- 1985-1988: University of Hull -Second class Honours degree in English Language and Literature; editor of Hullfire, the student newspaper; presenter, University Radio Hull; elected representative on the Student Union Council; University Hockey Club.
- Travelling in India, the Mediterranean, South East Asia and USA.
- 1978-1984: Reigate Grammar School – A levels in English, History and Geography; O levels in English, Maths, History, Geography, Latin, French, Physics and Chemistry; God Duke of Edinburgh Award; leading participant in drama projects, including Puck in William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- I like walking, reading, writing for pleasure, gardening, watching some sport, going to the theatre, listening to music, cooking and mucking about with the family. I also have a thing about British roadside letter boxes. I live in south-east London with my wife Emma and four children.
mob: 07974 357 237